Monday, September 1, 2008

Austin’s Uptown Modern Sets The Standard


Although Texas has a number of really impressive Mid-Century Modern furniture stores, Austin’s Uptown Modern on Burnet Road has leaped to the top of my list of favorites with its mix of brand-name vintage furniture and decor, kitsch and designer sensibility.

We had a nice talk with the owner, Jean, about the state of the MCM in Texas and my wife and I found out something that we already knew – selling MCM is a tough go in Texas, and it isn’t just because so many people still want to live in a Tuscan villa or still buy into shabby chic. There are plenty of people who want modern furnishings, but they want to pay $200 for a sofa. That makes margins pretty tight.

Although Austin Modern and Room Service are still a couple of my favorite stores, Uptown Modern is a cut above with its Knoll credenzas, Bitossi and Raymor-inspired lamps with silk shades and Danish Modern sofas and chairs. The design sensibility is impeccable and the pricing is quite competitive on most items. Jean also carries an impressive array of MCM outdoor furniture.


My parents living room looked just like this growing up.


The yellow Dux sofa looks wicked cool with the chrome and glass table.


Monster flat screen TVs have given old modern credenzas new life, but old MCM lamps aren't quite as appreciated. Too bad because the quality blows away most of what is available today.


Jean started out collecting jewelry and she has a fantastic collection of jewelry in the front case.


I totally want these!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terrific blog! Love the look and pictures – it’s a helpful resource and what you do to bring attention to mcm design and architecture in DFW is great. I think this is a really interesting and cool home that you’ll enjoy checking out… The period furnishings are selected by legendary designer Louise Kahn and the home itself designed by Dallas architect William E. Benson is an exquisite example of MCM architecture. By the way, I noticed you have a link to my Dallas Modern Homes Web site. Thank you.

Douglas Newby

Anonymous said...

I adore Uptown Modern. They currently sell my pillows, which are crafted from vintage needlepoints. Many of my pillows on are a quick way to add a mid century punch to a room.
What a fabulous blog you have!!!!